A bowl of warm berries with a sweet, crisp topping is deliciously simple.
Berry crisp is also incredibly easy to make and requires only a few ingredients that you probably have in your fridge or freezer. For this recipe, I eliminated the use of two typical ingredients that accompany this dessert: flour and cornstarch. Adios! There’s really no need for them. Not-too-sweet berries and an indulgent oat crumble should be the stars of the show here. Serve with a dollop of coconut whipped cream or a scoop of Coconut Bliss ice cream (my favorite!)
Yields 6-8 half-cup servings
– 4 cups frozen berries
– 2tbs sugar
– Juice from 1 lemon (about 2-3tbs)
– 1/2 cup butter, softened
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1cup gluten-free oats
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix berries, sugar and lemon juice. Pour mixture into 8×8-inch baking dish or similar sized dish of choice (I used an oval shape).
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt.
4. Spread oat topping over berries and bake for 45 minutes until bubbling and browned on top.
5. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes and then serve warm (it’s also delicious cold the next day as it continues to set up. Breakfast?)
Note: This recipe has been adapted from multiple blogs and online recipes.