Growing up, make-your-own tacos were my favorite dinner.
Now, as a grown-up, they are still one of my favorite meals to make. The only difference is, I’ve adapted them to a make-your-own taco salad. Healthier, and just as delicious! You can top your salad with whatever you like, but I typically use grilled steak (or chicken), bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, and sharp cheddar cheese. Good sour cream is also a must, and my favorite is a lactose-free variety from Green Valley. This salad goes great with my mom’s tomatillo-serrano salsa, homemade corn chips, and a margarita—of course!
Steak Taco Salad
Easily serves 2 with plenty of leftovers
– 1 pound flank or skirt steak
– Olive oil
– 1 bell pepper, sliced and grilled with olive oil, salt, and pepper
– 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– Diced tomatoes
– Sour cream
– Your choice of lettuce (I used a mix of arugula and baby kale)
1. To prepare the steak, heat a pan with a few teaspoons of olive oil (you don’t need much) over medium-high heat until smoking. Generously salt and pepper both sides of the steak, and place on the hot pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or a bit longer if you like your steak more on the done side. Let rest for 5 minutes, and then slice into strips.
2. Prep the rest of your toppings, placing into small bowls for serving.
3. To serve, place desired amount of lettuce on plate, and finish with toppings of your choice.